View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 05:37 PM
CLazarus
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 777FO
Default Fleet Discussion and News

O.k. - Rather than seeing new threads start up every time fleet updates are announced, I thought perhaps a dedicated fleet thread would be a good idea. Here's a kickoff:

Last winter I thought a C Series purchase was likely since it was the only SNB option available in the short/medium term, and doing so would unlock acquiring more E-175s. I never guessed at a smokin' deal on -700s... nor that we'd set it aside. Now the C Series is doing well in service, provides an outstanding NB passenger experience, and Bombardier seems to be on the rebound. Meanwhile the Embraer E2 is progressing smartly through flight test and looks like it will enter service on time, providing a strong competitor to the C Series. If we buy nothing but 737-800/A319 sized aircraft or larger in the near future, it seems like we have a growing hole in our fleet below 130 seats. I don't think we'd buy current/used 190s, as too many carriers are unloading them. Anyone hazard a prediction on whether or not we might ultimately buy either the C Series or E2? Explain.

777-300s - So rumors have been going around about picking up another dozenish (new or maybe used). I was surprised nothing was announced yesterday, so maybe nothing is in the works after all. Personally, I thought buying more bargain basement -300s made sense while swapping the A350s for 321NEOs. In that scenario, we'd be reducing our fleet types considerably (747s/350s and ultimately even 757s). I expect we'd have to wait 6-10 years for the 321s, but I am not aware of any reason the 757s couldn't wait at least that long. Any other thoughts or wisdom? Explain.