View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
FlynLow
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: FDX Captain
Default Step up to the Plate!

IMHO

BC did a hell of a job. If you look at the diverse subgroups in our pilot force, we had alot of factors for senior, middle ground, junior, and very young pilots in our group. Negotiating a contract to get back some of the stuff our previous friends gave away, like MR. FAT ONE did, and improving our current contract was a pretty big chore.

Especially considering all the factors we had to work with:

A pilot force that won't stop flying draft, volunteer, and open time.

A pilot force that flies DP's at the drop of a hat.

A CEO who is probably the most powerful CEO in the transporation industry.

Very Senior pilots.

Very Young Junior pilots

Pilots who expect to all be Captains in 4-5 years, because that is the sell job they got in their interview.

Pilots who only care about the W-2 at the cost of all else.

And the majority who are reasonable, and want a mix of safe work conditions, good pay, health care, and a retirement that will be there when we retire.

A NMB that made it clear we couldn't strike...(not to mention a President that put them in there, and a membership that also put him in there, based upon our Repbublican demographics)

And a federal court system and judges that are very ANTI LABOR.

I didn't see anyone else stepping up to the plate during all these times...mainly what I've seen is since the contract, alot of "what have you done for ME lately" comments from the peanut gallery.

The contract is over, we are getting ready for the next one. We did get significantly more out of the company than when we started. Is there room for improvements, yes there is, and yes we should continue to pursue them.

BTW, For those of you that don't know, all our negotiators from the MEC had alot of training, to include Harvard training, not just a workshop, very indepth training.

And more importantly, right along side of them, at almost every meeting we had with the company, we had ALPA's national representation team (i.e. professionals, who are amongst the best in labor) it just wasn't Bob at the table.

So lets give BC some credit where credit is due. Take out the egos and emotions, and look at the work that got done and the work we have to do.(and yes with BC there was alot of ego and emotion, but also a hell of alot of work done on our behalf)

We have an uphill battle going on with many of issues. Lets try and press forward and not allow the company to divide and conquer us, and to allow them to nickle and dime away what we have now.

FYI, I'm not an elected guy, manager or a close friend of Bob's, just a member that knows the huge amount of work done by these guys for several years.

Shot Out! Over

PS

(If you don't like what is going on, or how the lay of the land looks, do what Tony C did and get directly involved) There is alot of varied work to be done as a volunteer, and alot of impact can be made that way, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it now.