View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM
scorpius
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
Thanks for the write up, moving to Orlando, FL in January with a CSEL. AF was my first choice down by Miami, FL. Just curious, did you need any more money than the one they quoted you for?
It is a good idea to bring at least an extra $500 (for 15 day) in the event that you will need some additional hours. The expectation is that you are going in "not too rusty." You will ultimately save yourself time, aggravation and money by catching a few training flights in a crappy trainer at your home airport before going into an accelerated program of any sort. I went in rusty as hell but I still got my spin sign-off.

All kidding aside, if you are doing the 30 day course, plan on going over your allotment. 10 hours isn't enough for CFI-A and CFII. They know you are going to go over, and in "fairness" they will charge you an all-inclusive rate of $200 per hour if you need additional hours. That includes instructor, and for CFII the plane is G1000.

I also forgot to mention you get unlimited sim time. There's a bunch of sims but they're all touchy as hell, and only available when the school is open. They are good, however, for getting your rhythm going as far as teaching in-flight. They emphasized the use of the sims when possible but it didn't really seem that anyone was really using them but me.

If you're just doing the 15 day course, just be stingy as hell with your ground allotment. They are actually really conscientious about saving your money, especially Patrick. The young-buck flight instructors are the ones to look out for.

So to answer your question.. the quoted price + checkride fee + at least $500 and you should be ok if you're not too far from proficiency.

Hope this helps.