View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Micro
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Drinking from the fire hose

Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post
Actually, I received several e-mails prior to the meeting that addressed this issue. The e-mails were from the MEC and were sent to every LEC 26 member that ALPA has an e-mail address for.

Also, apparently the person(s) who instigated the recall motion weren't too successful in getting the word out to like-minded members, were they?

IMO, the problem is that most FDX ALPA members do not take the time to read the e-mails that they are sent. They are way too busy *****ing on APC or FI.

Here is a thread on this very subject that ran for two weeks before the meeting: http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=15376 . Doesn't look too sneaky to me.
You're absolutely right on all counts. And to answer your question, after spending an hour on the phone with the ALPA lawyers in Herndon, there is NO way for a member to contact others in your LEC through ALPA. He said "sorry, that's the way it is". The only way to contact LEC members is to boxstuff at the hub, e-mail on the company system, obtain phone numbers from VIPS and call directly, and face to face in the hub. All these are either on company property or use the company system (for union business which I bet the company would frown upon). Then there's webboards like this one and others. I think there should be an avenue within ALPA for union members to be able to directly communicate with other members about union business but at this time there's none and I would expect it to change.