Thread: 73 vs. 320
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

AZ - Boeing recommends wing low cross control. But the planes will tolerate full crab landings.

I've late kicked, below 20', various types of airliners. No different than I did in turboprops. They're just a jet, don't over think it. An adjustment is the higher sink rate and advancing wing effect that tends to raise the upwind wing as you kick it straight. If you use too much aileron and you get spoiler deployment which starts lurching the a/c. Some guys develops PIO's in roll because of that. The 737 F40 is the worst. And with under wing engines there's a risk of a pod strike. But the limitation, while numerically small, is visually ugly do most guys chicken out based on what they're seeing before they reach the limitation. I've yet to see anyone get close to a pod strike.

And in some jets there's a combination technique in higher crosswinds. Above X any additional crosswind should be dealt with crab vs increased wing low.
Any crab, and/or lateral drift, almost always degrades the seat of the pants feeling you experience at touchdown. Land with both, ie not enough cross control so you're still in a crab, and a lateral drift to the downwind side, typically destroys any chance of a reasonable touchdown. And then there are the drifting, crabbing, landings on the downwind tires. Ugh.