View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 AM
NMuir
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Training in Utah or Colorado gives you lots of advantages in having to deal with terrain and cold weather. Not everywhere gets to handle these things so you'll be comfortable with them when you get out in the real world.

With ATP, mileage may vary.

If you aren't flying, then they can't bill you. So they like to keep you flying as much as possible. But don't believe the 180 day timeframe, I don't think anyone completes it that quickly. Also they will likely have to charge you extra unless you do everything perfectly the first time, so budget for 10% more than what they claim.

And the biggest problem with ATP is that they are only focused on the bottom line meaning that they will push you to take checkrides and writtens on artificial deadlines whether you are ready to or not. If you fail, then they get more money for the required extra training.

Other than those pretty major points, I had very good experience with ATP. When I had a bad instructor they gave me a new one upon request. And I did get all of my tickets in way less than a year. Keep in mind that they never hold class so everything is one on one and you have to learn a lot of it yourself. ATP also doesn't give you time to do much of anything else, so forget having a side job or anything. Lots of time it is 6-7 days a week.

If your goal is to ram through as fast as humanly possible, then ATP is a good choice. Their equipment is good too.