Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

The advantage you hear about a place like AllATP is in gaining more multiengine time. It's a pretty good argument, but not as much of one lately because of the tendency toward lower mins. I think the argument would hold up better in other times than it does now.

As far as learning experience goes, people who have been in a variety of aircraft and training situations like tailwheel, single engine commercial, glass cockpit, etc. are more broadly experienced. I have noticed that academy cfis are not as adept at teaching, they learned a system more than a subject; but I doubt anyone cares very much about that.

I guess the thing is one should not go through life without a 4-year education, and by the time you have taken out your loans on that plus $55k for ATP you are in some serious debt. If you go to college but go to an FBO you save $20k and will be that much closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. With flying jobs starting at $16k I can't see the hurry to get there. Why not do it more cheaply, arguably better, with a $20k incentive. Another thing is that FBO-style flight training makes a wonderful complement to college coursework. Study all day then go fly for a couple of hours.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 09-05-2007 at 01:11 AM.