Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

I disagree too. I have trained and worked both part 61 and 141. The 141 system is cumbersome and inflexible...I believe it was actually created just to meet the VA requirements for vocqational training for military education benefits (GI Bill)...it was designed by one bloated government agency to meet the requirements of another bloated government agency

If you are a good study you can do most of your ground training yourself with a self-study course from the pilot shop. If you need a full-on classroom setting, there are a variety of places to go (flight school, local colleges, etc).

The only possible benefit to 141 might be lower hours to complete the commercial rating (PPL and IRA will almost certainly require more than the min hours). Unfortunately the 141 schools charge so much more more that it doesn't save you any money...so you spend the same (or more) money and graduate with less flight time. See a problem here? Airlines and other employers care only about total time, not 141 training.

If it makes you feel better, the school made out big time cuz it cost them less airplane time to get you out the door.