Gets Weekends Off
Sunvox
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2010
  • Position
    EWR 777 Captain
Quote: DOJ would never approve it with the Majority of the NYC market mopped up by UAL in my opinion.
Maybe, but I'm not certain we would have a "majority" hold on NYC also I found this table interesting . . .

Does anyone have current market share information for NYC?

I, for one, would welcome a merger with JetBlue as I have several friends from my CommutAir days that work there and whom I would love to see again on the line. Plus as a New Yorker the added flying choices out of New York would be tremendous. Here are some added curious items that come to mind:

1) UAL recently announced deferral of it's 737 MAX orders.
2) UAL hired Kirkby (Kirby?) from AA who has a propensity for Airbus.
3) UAL has been telling new captains attending "Charm School" in ORD that the goal is 17,000 pilots and 1000 planes in 5 years.
4) UAL used to be big in JFK AND EWR back in the 90s. They even flew 747SPs out of EWR whilst also flying 747s to Asia out of JFK. (I was flying out of Terminal 6 when JBLU was doing proving runs.)

Just had another interesting thought. Again, I am simply throwing this out there and haven't done a lick of actual research so take this for what it is -entertaining discussion-

If JBLU has seen declining earnings in recent years, one might argue that as they mature they are unable to compete with AA and DAL in JFK therefore if UAL were to takeover their planes and routes one would ensure continued competition out of JFK.