Thread: Elite Airways
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 06:45 PM
FloridaLarry
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
Islip is a better option for those who live in Suffolk County and even parts of eastern Nassau county. For NYC, no question ISP is not desirable.

Islip Airport should be touting how inconvenient LGA currently is with all the construction.

There's been talk for years about better transportation from ISP terminal to the LIRR station, but it's never happened. I simply don't think there's enough traffic.
The only thing, ever, that's been convenient about LGA is the car-miles distance from mid-town. LGA was Third-world before the term was invented.

Some people have a formula to compare fares between larger & closer 'metro' airports and farther-out fields. It includes drive-miles, drive-time, parking costs, direct vs connection, overall flight duration, time of day, and more. The result is a way to determine how much more they can charge at farther-out fields (which probably have lower operating costs, as well).

Many airlines have some history of their own to look at. When Southwest wanted to attack Fortress Boston, they started operations to/from Providence, RI and Manchester, NH. Worked for them, and the PAX who lived between loved it, and some people went from Boston out to the 'boonies' to fly. Eventually, SWA got slots at Logan, but didn't pull out of either PVI or MHT.

One can be more, or less, scientific about the math. Half of it is perception. You're right: That can be swayed by good marketing - both PR and advertising.

Intermodal: If you build it, more will come. Enough more to absorb the cost? That's the question. PVI has intermodal rail connections to Boston. This transfers the question to: How convenient is the other end of rail to you?

The last factor is convenience. For a decade, I lived near Philadelphia, about as far north from center city as PHL is south. 50 minutes to drive to the airport, plus traffic delays. I could take the train: drive a mile from my house, park for free, train into Center City, change trains (lengthy connection), go to the airport. Took at least an hour and a half, with as many delays as I-95. Didn't do it once in ten years.