View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Tom fooloery View Post
Ok I have a couple of questions about reserve life. What is the commuter clause? Is OAK still junior and if so how long would it take to get to DAL, DEN or HOU?
Our commuter policy is 1 Southwest flight that gets you to your domicile at least an hour prior to check-in, or two offline flights from your designated commuter cities.

One bad thing about this is that if you're a commuter on reserve, in order to use the commuter policy, you have to be in domicile 1 hour prior to your reserve availability period (RAP), not your trip start time if you've been assigned a trip. In other words, if you're a PM reserve and your RAP starts at 1100, and you've been assigned a trip that starts at 1700, you still need to be in domicile NLT 1000. Other than that, now that reserve pays per day and not a monthly guarantee, I'd say it's improved a bit, but true trip ownership along with commuter clause reflecting your trip vs. RAP would make it better.

Overwhelming majority of new hires end up in OAK their first month after completing IOE, but you'll have a line that month. A few senior stragglers in the last couple of classes have gone to LAS and PHX their first month and dodged OAK altogether, but I'd count on OAK your first month.

Of the 3 domiciles you mentioned, I'd say DEN and HOU are both about 3-4 months, DAL maybe a month longer. The only domicile that you won't see for years is ATL. You might see MCO towards the end of your first year, but every other domicile is pretty quick.