View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
GingerDan
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: SWA FA

Thank you! I appreciate the discussion.

We have 6 schools here in Vegas with one being ATP and the other 5 FBOs. The FBOs range from a run down looking but longest running operation that doesn't have a SIM or even a Multi to a newer place that has all new equipment including a SIM and all glass cockpits. We have yet another who completely switches up how they do their training - they do all ground school and written exams first for PPL, IFR, Commercial, etc and then spend the remainder of the time flying. They don't include the 3 CFIs in their package because they feel it's a waste of time and money right now when the regionals are hiring "anyone with a pulse".

Needless to say, it's not an easy choice to make. For me though, it may solely come down to finances. ATP being the only outfit offering loans with an APR less than 8% makes them the only choice for those without the cash to afford an FBO or personal loan. The FBO that doesn't do the CFIs has his program at roughly $30k which is more managable than the 50-60 elsewhere.

I think that I lean towards getting the CFIs for two reasons. First, as you all said, part of a captain's duties are to teach when necessary and having some experience with that would make me a better captain. Second, it allows me more opportunities for employment after school if an outfit like Scenic doesn't hire me.

This is a great place for information and advice and I am happy I found it. Thank you again for the responses.

Fly safe,

~ Dan