View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Iflyfr8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Originally Posted by madfoxjay View Post
Maybe I am missing it, but why do people look at companies such as Ameriflight and Airnet as a steeping stone to a regional? I would think since you have the oppurtunity to gain valuable mulitengine turbine PIC quickly, provided you are comfortable with your skills, it would be a good job to land. Please let me know what I am missing?

I’m not going to say that you are wrong, because you are not! It’s just that times change, markets change. In the past it was a little more “normal” for pilots to use 135 operators as a stepping stone.

Back then a commuter/regional might have some pretty restrictive requirements such as 1500tt, 200multi and even maybe pay for your training (or at least part of it). Now, in that kind of market it makes sense to use 135 operators as a stepping stone, right?
Well no more! Today it seems like all you need to get a job with a commuter/regional is a commercial-, instrument-, multi engine license and about 300-400 total time! As a matter of fact the 135 operators are struggling, as a direct result, to fill their new hire classes with qualified applicants (135 mins).

So I guess I would say, in today’s market, a 135 is not so much a stepping stone for a commuter/regional as much as maybe banner towing or flying skydivers. And why would you? (If a commuter/regional is your goal)

Off course this only my opinion.