View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Many thanks, folks - the info and effort to respond is much appreciated. The regional aspect/option just surfaced recently but is quickly gaining momentum. There is one wildcard with the ANG; but I doubt it changes anyone's advice!

Regardless, I can't find any reason not to push the retire button. 22 years is enough, and from here forward its just delaying my next/last job. At least in my opinion.

I'm not super keen on the ISR gig; that place has seen enough of me. Sure, I may be guessing wrong - but I'd rather take my lumps for a bit in the regional world to get hours than get back into rotations back to the armpit of the world. (Then again - if I didn't get hired, I'm not saying never.)
I don't think you're guessing wrong on either of those.

The regionals are the way to go to get to a major IF you can afford to weather the financial storm associated with going to one. The landscape is a lot better now ($55k+ starting pay) than it was 18 months ago ($25k- starting pay). A pension makes regional starting pay livable, and 121 experience will get you to the show faster than ISR in most cases.