View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Do3r17

Default Serious Question

Sorry guys, but I have searched the internet but cannot find the answer to these questions I have. Im a long time aspiring pilot and want to start as soon as possible. I really dont want to procratinate as for the people at Pprune forums advise me.

My goal in life is to one day sit in the captain seat of a major airlines jet such as American Airlines. I am currently 17yrs old. Obviously I need my PPL, IR, ATPL, CPL, FAA, and the rest. My father just recently started bringing in the dough lately (About past 5 years) becasue he started to get into investing real estate. So, money is not really a problem. He's willing to put in the money for me to get my dream job. I've wanted this ever since I was 8.

How may I know I want this, well for one, every time an airplane goes by in the sky, I notice I'm starring at it. I love the airports, I love flying in airplanes. I cant even describe my love of flying. It gives me the chills. I am in very good physical shape, have the best eyes in the world, and am currently not on any medications. Anyways, enough of the background information, here comes the questions.

I'm going into my senior year in high school, and am currently getting A's and B's. When I get out, should I go to a training school then go to college for a degree in aviation? Get a degree in aviation (or anything else, does it really matter that I get a degree in aviation?) then get my certificates? Or, is there a college that has both training and education? I would rather go to a something that has both. Im just not sure on what there really is.

Heres what I think would be best. I want to start my PPL while in my senior year of high school, then when I get out, I will finish up in a college that trains and offers a degree at the same time. If thats not possible, then I wnat to obtain my certificates first, then get a job as an instructor and go to college at the same time. That way, it will help pay for the college bill.

Sorry bout all the writing, but I need to know what to do. I'm tired of putting it off. I want to do this! I've been very serious about it for the past 6 months. Now its time to get started. Thanks so much for reading all this and providing your intake. By the way, I'm not really sure where people on this forum are from, just to clearify things, I'm from the U.S.A.