View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 06:20 PM
AAron
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default Bail at 17 Years Active USMC?

The idea of leaving active duty for an active reserve or active guard job crossed my mind years ago but never this late in the game. Recently my buddy mentioned leaving active duty for an Air Force Reserve (full time) or Air National Guard job (full time). He is stuck at a desk in a staff job for his remaining time (no fault of his own). We know a few guys that did this around years 10-12 YCS. One flying heavies and one flying RPAs. I'm trying to figure out if I should talk my buddy off the wall or join him on it. Flying anything besides a desk sounds more appealing. I know there would be an enormous amount of paperwork from my prior research. There are some openings on usajobs but they don't go into too many details. I've heard of guys "rushing" the prospective squadron and read the Gold to Silver document on baseops.net.

Does anyone have any experience in this area, this late in the game?

If one were to do this, would the guard or AF reserve time (full time) allow them to retire at 20 YCS if they chose to retire? Would they receive retirement pay upon retirement or have to wait?

We are both helicopter pilots and have heard of the Envoy RTP.

Thanks, have a great New Year