Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 AM
FlyingStormie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

I know little about FlightSafety Academy other than it is only one location: Vero Beach, Florida.

I have a little experience with ATP, so I can comment on that. ATP's program, while it includes the CFI certificates and offers a CFI job upon completion, neither is required. You can end your training at any time. Even if you choose to get your CFI certificates, you aren't required to teach at ATP.

There are time building programs out there. ATP has one, but good golly is it expensive. It would probably be cheaper to buy a light twin and do a lease-back to a flying club or FBO.

There are jobs to be had with a "wet" Commercial. Glider tow, aerial survey, hanging out at a busy FBO and offering yourself out to be a safety pilot. That last one probably won't put food on the table, but you can build hours. There are Part 135 operators that hire SICs with just a Commercial. Quest Diagnostics recently started an FO program and compensation is pretty good from what I've read, so competition is going to be heavy.