View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Future Cpt Kirk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by Flymeaway View Post
Newbie here.

How bad are the pay issues really? I know pay is going to be a touchy subject, and a couple mistakes can cause pages and pages of hate on these boards. I don't really notice a lot of complaining in other regionals' threads though. Well...there's lots and lots of complaining, but not so much about getting paid on time.

I'm kind of trying to choose between Skywest and TSA, since they're the two larger regionals operating out of DEN, where I'll be living. For Skywest, I would probably be commuting to reserve at least a couple months followed by commuting to a line for another 4 or 5 before I could get moved to where I'll be living.

It sounds like TSA could put me there right out of training, or at least within a month or two. However, if I'm having to fight tooth and nail every month just to get paid, well...that's a tough choice.

They both have the same $7,500 signing bonus. TSA's FO pay scale is a few cents lower in year 1, and a couple dollars in years 2-3. Captains are a couple dollars lower too. Skywest has no union though, and there seems to be some resentment about getting jerked around with seniority issues.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.
The pay problems are significant. Significant enough that I was shorted over 5k in pay in the year and four months I was there. My final check was over 1k short and I still have not been paid the full amount. These issues are known by the company and have been ongoing.

You also may want to take a look at upward mobility. Tsa is very stagnant right now. One upgrade class in the last five months.... Though I don't think Skywest has a lightening fast upgrade either.

Ultimately, do some research and go with your gut. TSA has a great pilot group, almost nationwide flying that is diverse, and has a base you want. But there are issues there right now that are big (payroll, iocc, short staffed, no upgrades).

I hear a lot of good consistently about Skywest. But I cannot speak first hand for them as I have not worked there.