View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Wise81
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Default Mil vs Civil Aviation:

I am retired Herc driver, flying for a Regional, but with an upcoming interview with a Major.
Timing now is great if you have the hours to jump, but you need hours....
You have 7 years in...13 to go. Wow, active duty is no cakewalk these days; can your family hang on that long??? But...that retirement check and Tricare will allow you to pursue a second career in commercial aviation. That market will always be there, and I am convinced there will never be a plethora of new pilots saturating the ranks. The shortage ain't going away anytime soon, as the job still is not female or family-friendly so that wipes out most women.
I suggest getting a 4 year degree online using TA, and finding a Pt141 school that has broken the code on using Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for advanced ratings. You can CFI in your spare time, and build towards the magic 1500.
Don't rule out separating and going to a Guard C130 unit near where you want to settle down. If you go that route, I guarantee the pilot shop will coach/help you with advice on civil aviation jobs. BTW not all are airline gigs.
Good luck.