View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 PM
snackysmores
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

Originally Posted by 150Aerobat View Post
I was surprised to see this when I was just browsing around on their website yesterday. (Also, did they change the "Horizon" font?) I was just given an offer last week with a class date of 1/23, so I should benefit from it. I am happy about it of course, but I can understand why everyone would be mad. That's shady to offer only new guys the $10k, but if you started last last year, or even last month, you don't see any of it. I don't know how the contract/union/management relations work to come to this decision, and its unfortunate they just can't raise 1st year pay for everybody! but please don't hate the new guy just because they happened to get a bonus. I took the job before I even knew about it.
The company meets with the union and says they want to raise first year pay to $40 but also have the ability to lower it back down if they want. Union says no; we took a massive concessionary contract and if they want to renegotiate first year pay we can renegotiate the other things they took away.

Company says alright, give us your proposal. Union presents an industry standard pay package for new hires and retention bonuses for current pilots. Company laughs at the union and walks out of the room. Company then meets with the union again and offers their same deal as before with no changes. Union walks away.

Company then announces F#%^ it we're going to do whatever we want and offers the pre employment bonus of 10k to circumvent our contract because the pilots technically aren't employed yet.

You say you've taken the job already and didn't know about it. You haven't taken anything. Your class is still 2 weeks away. You know exactly what you are doing and if you decide to take the money you are essentially saying you are OK with the company violating our contract to line your pockets.