View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
svergin
UCH Pilot

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: 787

Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
This gem deserves its own response.

This is a big part of the glass ceiling (another real thing) and the fact that women make less than men who do the same jobs...
Ok you were doing a good job until this. I'm raising the BS flag. We are talking specifically about airline pilots. Can you please show me a pay scale in aviation where women and men are on different pay rates? The idea that women airline pilots are paid less by averaging all airline pilots, which you can't do because there are more women entering the field than ever before, so more are at the bottom. Not because they are women, but because they are just starting out. Its like that in any field where women are making strides, their aggregate pay is less, not because of bias, but because they haven't had enough time to ascend to higher paying positions.

Also I just checked the last COLA list published. Although women are only about 5% of pilots, almost 20% of all COLA requests were from women pilots. So women are apparently taking more time off from work than men (and making less money apparently). Also I went through many BES lists and lo and behold I find far more than 5% of the top NB FO positions to be women. In one base the #1 and #3 NB FOs are both women who live in base. They can easily hold lines as 320, 737, 756 Captains in their base. Their male peers are WB FO or Captains, and making more money because they are in higher paying seats and not taking COLA or using their seniority to drop trips.

So the myth that women pilots are paid less, and all the stats are false. Women are paid the same for the same work, and enough of them are choosing to work less, and enough men choosing to work more, to make the aggregate numbers look like its intentional.