View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by ANGhopeful View Post
Hey y'all looking for advice.
Fed up with my guard unit. My board was 2 years ago, FC1 almost 1 year ago. They won't put me into TFOT until July. Graduate August. UPT and everything else to follow. Very sick of waiting and putting a huge strain on my family life - Wife no kids yet-

Its a refueling unit. I really do want to serve they just make it so difficult with all the hurry up and wait. Plus I'm stuck commuting to drill every month and doing pushups with all the enlisted high schoolers.

Is it worth it in the end to stick out all the bs to become an airforce pilot?

Or should I take the easier way out go the civilian route finish up my ratings in a few months, be a cfi, and be at the regionals by the time i'd finish ANG training? With all the money and retirements coming up it is tough to sit on my hands and wait.
No don't do that. A guard gig is worth it due to the reduced hrs requirements for ATP, supplemental part time income and stability in case of economic downturn. Having military on the resume is also a big plus, not to mention the experience you'll gain flying grey jets is different than 121.

Your best best would be do guard, bum until you get your RATP mins then go to a regional with a flow while applying direct to the majors and going on mil leave.