View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Hank Burley
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Military guys, including myself will b#tch about the military all the time. But I wouldn't trade my last 19.5 years of military service for anything!
I will second others on this thread, ask yourself,
"Do you want to serve?" If the answer is yes, then answer the follow on question.
Do you want to go $100k+ in debt just to get your ratings? Or do you want to get paid to fly high performance airplanes for a year while making some of the best friends for the rest of your life?
If the answer is yes, then by all means stick it out, I know the Beuraucratic crap waiting sucks, but it's worth it. I have been flying the tanker for the ANG for 8 years now. I have been all around the world, some crappy places (the desert) but plenty of awesome places that no regional job will ever sniff. The best part of the job, and all my bros will agree, is the camaraderie that you will have with fellow ops guys/gals for the rest of your life. You and your wife will never have better friends than the people you serve with. Management aside, the operations squadron is like our family (especially away from work!)

Just stick it out and don't listen to anyone on here who says otherwise especially if they aren't military or a military aviator. We had a new guy get back from UPT last spring and through flying his butt off, mostly in the desert, he's already at 750 hours with a regional job and a paid for ATP waiting for him in April. And he accumulated zero debt, made tons of tax free $$$, and is still only 27.

But still comes down to, do you want to serve?