View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

The first thing I would recommend is researching your ancestry and see if you have the ability to acquire nationality somewhere else. Obviously I do not know your ethnic background, but if it is European, there are many European countries that will grant citizenship, or at least provide an expedited path to citizenship, if you have ancestry from that country. Ireland, Germany, Spain, and Italy all do this to one extent or another. I am not sure about other parts of the world, but it is at least worth researching. If you can do this, you may have an easier time finding an expat job without having to rely on the far or middle east.

Also research FATCA and FBAR and find out what their consequences will mean for you. If you plan to keep one foot in the States (i.e. maintain a residence and bank account), it may be easier than making a complete break. As an expat American it may be difficult to open bank accounts, invest for retirement, or purchase a house due to FATCA and FBAR. Keeping a foot in the States may make it easier. Of course if you plan to return to the States eventually then it makes sense to keep some stuff active. But if your move overseas is intended to be permanent, actively research FATCA and FBAR and fully understand your tax requirements to the U.S.

Others mentioned it and I will second it - it would be wise to try and spend a bit of time in your planned country of residence before making the move. Find an expat community and try and get some information from other foreigners living there what day to day life is really like. Sometimes seemingly simple things can be quite different than you would expect, and real day to day life is quite different than a short holiday visit. It would stink to up and move to a foreign country and realise three months down the road that living there is far different that you thought it would be after a three day visit.