Thread: Jan 16 class
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 03:35 PM
CactusCrew
Tri-tanic operator

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie

Originally Posted by Missed Service View Post
Congrats on the offer. But I want to emphasis that at UPS everything is firmed until about 2015zulu each day when they change their minds on things. Don't quit your job until you are sitting in class with an ID that says brown turd on it.

Trust me, I appreciate the humor. But an explanation is in order since this thread is about a Jan 16 new hire class.

The 2015 reference goes back to the furlough. UPS simply stated they could furlough 300 until the year 2015. They only got to 109, largely due to efforts of the IPA and its membership. They sent out furlough notices to at least 170, and then "cancelled" layoffs every 28 days as they realized they couldn't operate down to those numbers.

It became apparent that UPS was unable to predict their staffing needs beyond 2015z of today, yesterday, and definitely not tomorrow.

Also very important to consider. In the recent past when hiring resumed, UPS postponed a class start date a few weeks. So the advice to "Don't quit your job until you are sitting in class with an ID that says brown turd on it." does have merit.

I am sure someone can fill-in the exact dates for some of this info. I just don't have the ambition