View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 AM
Swearingin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Lvlng4Spd View Post
I'm going to play devils advocate here. Why not? Especially if a pilot lives local and can take full advantage? Don't give me the "it sets a precedent" answer either. Any attempt by the Company to negotiate less days off than what we have now would be thwarted. It's also highly debatable whether it would hinder us from achieving more. Not in these times and those to come.
Well, there are a couple of reasons not to go over the top when working...
First, don't put yourself in a situation where you could blow your duty hours without realizing it, and suffering repercussions.
Second, I used to work for a company where the Chief Pilot complained at negotiations "we spend $100,000 a year in call-outs for Pilots on their days off" (It was a small company). The union guys response was "well, I know how we can save you $100,000 a year" - In other words - no call-outs, but you'd better hire more Pilots to cover the short fall. That would cost a lot more.
Third, your employer gives you days off to rest, and you are governed by flight and duty time regulations so that you don't operate an aircraft while fatigued. Don't put safety on the line just to get some extra bucks.
Fourth, when it comes to renegotiating your contract and employment conditions, your Company will look at the staffing numbers - if the Pilots are willing to kiss goodbye to their days off for a few bucks, why should they hire more crew?