View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM
FlyingStormie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

So, my time with ATP Flight School as officially ended. Although I had told ATP I was ready to return to flying after grounding myself, they required I obtain a BFR and Log 15hrs after the review before I could return to ATP. After talking with a local flying club just before Christmas, I decided just to get the remainder of my training at the place where I'll get my Flight Review.

The refund process was initiated just before the first of the year. I had been told this process can take up to two weeks to complete but that "[they'd] never seen it take that long." Today is slightly over the two week period but when you consider the New Year's holiday, it's close enough.

Currently, my account is on "Flight Hold" and a refund is pending. Based on the hours that I've flown so far, I estimate that I'm out at least $2000 including the deposit. When the process in complete, I expect to see a full accounting of the costs that I've incurred.
According to my outstanding balance at Sallie Mae, I'm only on the hook for $1445.00. ATP had only received the first of four disbursements ($17,500 each) from Sallie Mae before the refund process began. So, contrary to some statements on the web claiming that ATP would use some absurd accounting methods to keep all the money and refund nothing appear to be unfounded. The amount ATP kept is for flight time (aircraft + CFI) and ground time with the CFI (post flight debrief and the initial check-in). I believe the initial $995 deposit is included as well. Just before by start date, they refunded that amount to my credit card and added it to my account.