View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Jay1122
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by gazoo34 View Post
The bonus wasn't negotiated with the union and therefore violates the agreed upon pay scale the union negotiated (I presume). This has happened at numerous regionals. It is a way for companies to temporarily increase first year pay and erode the negotiating power of the pilot group. This is how the regionals stay alive AND IT IS WRONG! The regional airline construct has taken away the bargaining power of pilots and until new pilots realize that going to a regional for min wage pay hurts them in the long run pilots will continue to get abused. Boys and girls a bonus is temporary and doesn't make up for cold calls and junior manning on days off. It doesn't make up for possibly getting a flight violation at a min wage job which may prevent you from getting your dream job. DONT GO TO A REGIONAL UNTIL FIRST YEAR PAY IS ABOVE $45 and there is a guaranteed flow to a major. It will happen in the next two years. Horizon like all other regionals need to die a slow painful agonizing death or pay pilots equal to the responsibility of having 79 lives in the literally "palm of their hands."

Thanks for info, I think I gotcha. Basically it's a way for the regionals to offer "more" pay without having to commit to a higher pay scale for the long haul and without having to negotiate the contract with the unions. Does that really make it illegal or just unethical?

To my follow-on question, is there anything that prevents one from just taking the bonus and never showing up? Is that similarly unethical? Has any one ops tested this? Just curious on folk's thoughts.