Sunvox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: EWR 777 Captain

Originally Posted by Student01 View Post
Is the 737 a good A/C to fly?
Pros and Cons?
Vs A319/320?

This forum is filled with people who vehemently hate the "other" plane, and your question will, likely, incite considerable slanderous debate. In terms of "facts" here are those that I consider relevant. Keep in mind I have never flown the Airbus but I did fly the 737-300/500 for 2 years, and I am deciding between these two aircraft as well since I anticipate taking my first captain's bid this fall. I will say I have jump seated on both planes many, many times and can say unequivocally that the Airbus cockpit is vastly better from a pilot standpoint and the work load for an Airbus FO is WAY less than that of a 737 FO. You can find the "flows" for both cockpits online in the company training files and compare them for yourself.

Otherwise here's my list:

Airbus Pros: cockpit noise, cockpit roominess, training all in one location, training that is consistent, and instructors that all have the same background and philosophy.

737 Pros: vastly greater trip selection, better trip trading and senior manning opportunities in some bases, airplane logic likely more similar to what you are used to (assuming a back ground in turboprops or RJs)

I leave a list of negatives to the vocal proponents on this forum.