View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 04:31 PM
DFW Refugee
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: JFK A-330 A

Originally Posted by Big E 757 View Post
In my recent past here, flying with guys in both seats, I've only witnessed one guy who didn't tip. He was a new hire and when I noticed it, I pulled an extra $1 out and gave it to the driver when he wasn't looking. I didn't want to shame him or anything. Some/most Guys take pay cuts coming over and with a family, things could be really tight at home...no big deal. The next morning he tipped the driver so I think he probably didn't have any singles that night and was too embarrassed to ask me to spot him. Other than that, I can't ever remember a Captain or FO not tip. I did have a Captain last year almost pass out when I gave the driver a $5 because I didn't have singles and the driver was really nice. I didn't feel like asking for change.

Trivia question...do you know what the word TIPS stands for?

TIPS= "To Insure Prompt Service."

I would guess many here have never worked for or relied on tips to make a living, pay for school, or just have extra cash. If you have, you know that it's a significant experience. If not, please TRY and put yourself in the service person's shoes, and just tip them.

Personally, I start the van driver at 2 Euros/Dollars. If there's a significant delay, poor attitude, etc... probably less. Holidays, they're chatty, friendly, took the scenic route, etc... more.

If your wife/girlfriend/mother was standing there and you didn't tip, do you really believe they'd think more of you?

BTW: I got a $30.00 tip from a pax, JFK-->LAX a number of years back. I tried to refuse, but she said she'd heard what we make and figured it might help. With the help of three crew members, we drank it at the hotel!