Thread: 2017 UPS Hiring
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by DC8 Driver View Post
Thanks guys, I have a friend at UPS that just filled out a rec for me. We'll see what happens.
After a few conversations with people who used to assist with interviews I believe that the value of someone's recommendation has changed throughout the years.

For a while a recommendation could help someone to get an interview, however, when you interviewed you were on your own. In other words they didn't look at recommendations at that point.
Later they reversed it, you were on your own as far as getting the interview (computer scoring and selection) but after your interview they'd review all your recommendations and if they were solid you could get a boost in your ranking.

Now I believe it's a combination of the two systems, computer scoring AND recommendations are looked at when selecting interviewees.
I recently submitted a recommendation for another friend and got this reply:

"...Our team will evaluate (xyz's) application based on (his/her) credentials, your input and the automated scoring system generated via the application process..."

If you're serious about this job I'd still go to a job seminar. A personal conversation, no matter how short, is typically very helpful to a recruiter. Anyone can "look" good on paper. However, once a new-hire wannabe opens up his/her mouth pretending is much more difficult.
Five of my friends have started here in the last 10 months or so. They ALL attended job fairs.
Wish you luck!