View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
DoctorManhattan
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by rocketman3746 View Post
Pay attention, this is important: if you are in a position where you are starting to talk about voting in a union, then YOU NEED A UNION. Only the most ignorant pilot would simply use it as leverage to make short term improvements. Even if they did make changes for the better (and they won't), you don't have a contract, so they will have you back to status quo or worse as soon as they think they can pull it off. Read up on your airline history and study human nature. You guys need to take the initiative and make the necessary changes.

Everything is an economy of scale. Including working at a small regional. I would prefer NOT to go union. I would rather the company respond to changes in the supply of labor based on market feedback. (People quitting, the comments on this forum etc). The market is showing them that the demand for pilots is larger than the supply. Therefore, they have to recreate demand for jobs at PenAir by raising pay and making schedules more livable. If the market was not in the pilot's favor right now I would say that a union is our only option. We always have recourse to unionize but once again, I would prefer that not be our first course of action. I think collective bargaining on the small scale is the best way forward. We just have to pull the trigger. And not get fired in the process...

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk