View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
cesnacaptn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Green Banana View Post
ALK is hiring and plans 50-75 more airframes in 2010 than today. Lots of new trans cons, lots of new Hawaii flying, Profitable. I'm happy to be here,
Are you getting your information from the following article that was written in 2003 which outlined the 2010 plan?

By 2010, this vision will see us flying 50 to 75 more aircraft than we are today; growing 8-to-10 percent per year; dominating the markets we serve; consistently being named one of the best places to work in America; and much more.
That actual plan from 2006-2008 has shown an annual percentage growth of 4.5, 4.1, and 7. That is ASM growth and not airframe growth. The so called company growth is from replacing aging inefficient md-80s with new larger 737-800s. The fleet plan does not show an increase in airframes from 2007 to 2008. In order for the 2010 plan to come true we would have to average at least 25 airplanes in growth for both 2009 and 2010. That would mean hiring 300 plus pilots each year (including growth/retirement/people leaving for greener pastures). I hope the plan comes true, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't see the company suddenly tripling its growth rate after 2008.

Oh and to answer the original thread:

I think pay at the top end is pretty close. HA has a frozen A plan, replaced by a descent B plan. AS has a 1.9% A plan and a 3% B plan. I would be willing to bet that by the time I retire, Alaska's A plan will be frozen and it will be replaced by an industry average defined contribution. Trips for Alaska are a mix of 1 day turns, and 2-4 day trips. Average days off is about 15-16 with a min max of 11-20. Reserve guarantee is 76 hours of pay and 11 days off. I would say fewer than a third of all pairing are commutable on both ends. You will waste a lot of time and extra nights away from home if you don't live in domicile--with the exception of PDX. It's not a domicile, but there are many overnights there. We have quite a few pilots that commute out of PDX.

I don't know too much about HA. I know they only have a HNL and SEA base. I think the 717 flying interisland has no overnights. The 767 is mostly 2 day trips. Sydney and Manilla I'm will to bet are multi-day trips.