Thread: Getting ready for Airline Training/Interviews

PSA help , 01-25-2017 02:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off
PSA help
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2016
Quote: Both of you are disconnected from reality.
Nope.

A good pilot is one who retains his/her skills and knowledge base.

If you are an commercial rated pilot who can not safely fly an ILS to minimums, you are not a good commercial, instrument rated pilot right now and should not be applying to work at an airline.

If you go and apply at an airline, they will likely tell you the same thing and send you home (a good regional will, at least).

Can you be a good pilot again? Absolutely! Study. Get some time in a sim. Get some time in the airplane shooting approaches. Then study some more. Practice.

Same can be said with most any profession or skill. I played guitar when I was in college. I was pretty good, and got paid on many occasions to play. Since then, I haven't touched a guitar. I don't even own one, and haven't in 10 years. Right now, I would be a terrible guitar player if I were to pick one up. But if I practice, I could probably be pretty good again.

Here's the difference...

Right now, I would not dream of showing up at a bar and start playing without practicing beforehand. But there are people showing up to work at airlines that are not prepared in any way. They have not put in any work to be ready to be an airline pilot. They think that since they have the certifications and a logbook that says they have 1500 hours, then they are qualified. They are not.

I will say it again. Some of the minimum qualifications to work at an airline include 1500 hours and a commercial MEL ticket. That is just part of the whole picture. There are many more requirements as well. Those include being a good, smart, proficient pilot that is able to take what he/she learned in school and show how they applied it to the experience that they gained in flying the 1500 hours.

Some people choose to get hours in any way that they can, but the best pilots try to get as many quality hours as possible along the way.