View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by pilot77 View Post
Its so hard to get multi time by instructing and it just seems like your going to have to pay for it, so why not get the edge on every body and do a first officer program? People say you're buying your job, but didnt everybody buy there job by spending 30k to 70k on ppl and ratings? To me, if I were going to hire someone and one person has 1000 hour total in teaching ppl and the other person has a total of 1000 hour in sic king air I think I would go with the king air pilot. Im not trying to be a smart ass at all i just think a paid first officer should not be looked down on just because some other guy worked at a FBO for the last 3 years flight instructing. I hope i didnt step an any toes in this forum im just trying to figure out which way i need to go. Thank you again
If he was instructing for 3 years he was doing something wrong in this climate. Schools are so desperate for instructors that you'd have no problems logging multi time at the right school. It's not hard to log 80 hours a month at a reasonably busy school and if you bust your butt it's easy to do more than 100. You simply cant compare what your friend went through because 3 years ago regionals wouldn't look at you with less than 1000/100 and 1500/300 was much more competative. That three year instructor has much more experience than any PFT wonder even if he has the same hours. Why? Because he's been flying over a greater time period and seen more weather, and other challenges.

You're not going to encounter too many 1000 hour king air pilots and there is no such thing as SIC in that airplane unless the 135 certificate they're on requires it. Most corporate flight departments have insanely high insurance requirements and lowtimers don't get those kind of jobs. Most people that are at that point are staying where they are. Chances are they're paid better than their regional counterparts or simply like the job better. Not everybody has an ultimate goal of the airlines.

Paying for ratings is one thing. Once you have the required ratings you shouldn't have to pay for a job. PERIOD.