View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM
kevbo
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by Bhounddog View Post
Interesting thread. Do you think there’s any sort of unspoken bias that causes pilots who look like stereotypical pilots to be hired over others?

For example, during a recent trip, I had a long layover at Hobby and noticed most Southwest pilots were tall men who looked like they played football in high school. If I were to pursue becoming a pilot, would it be a detriment to my career if I’m short and look like I played soccer in high school? In other words, I look more like Eric from Entourage (Kevin Connolly) than Sully from Sully (Tom Hanks).

Do any of you think there is a hiring bias in which pilots who look like a traditional American pilot get hired over pilots who don't look the part, even with similar resumes and experience?

*I'm asking from the standpoint of a curious potential career changer. I'm not a bitter pilot trying to justify why I'm not employed by a major airline yet.
Every human interaction is subjective base mostly on how you look followed by reputation and lastly credentials. You will always find more fair haired golden boys in any desireable position. I have been discredited in a group because i did not look like a person they wanted to hear. Instead they turned to the guy who was taller and better dressed. How many female pilots look like Roseanne Barr? There is your answer.