Old 02-01-2017, 03:34 AM
los5041
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Default Another WWYD, Stay AD or Leave AD Question

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I apologize for asking the same questions that always seems to be asked by many of us, whether to stay AD or jump ship, but the advice given here is invaluable and many of you provide great perspectives.

Currently, I'm a C130 pilot with just under 1,000 hours in type and 600 as PIC in type. I've been fortunate enough to get every instructor qualification. Prior to flying the C130, I was a rotor head and have just over 1,000 in RW and 400 as PIC and was an instructor in that community also. My total time between FW and RW is 2,100 and 900 PIC, all military.

I'm sitting at the 12-year mark on AD and am heading on a 2-year non-flying tour, but can jump ship summer of 2018 after a year, which would put me at 13 years AD. I've got a sugar momma who brings home a stable check so the money aspect isn't an issue, other than the blow to my ego going from O4 AD pay to Regional FO pay. I know that I'm not competitive enough yet for a major airline and I'll have to go to a regional for a few years. I'd also plan on going the reserve route in order to get some sort of pension when I hit 60.

Sitting in my spot, would it be smart to leave the good pay but stressful life of AD at 13 years and go the regional route or stay in do my two years at the non-flying tour and hope for my follow on orders in 2019 to take me back to a C130 squadron and stay there till I get more hours, potentially putting me at the 15 year mark on AD. I know it's a buyers market for us and just want to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.

If anyone left AD around the same time frame, I'd love to hear your perspective. To be honest, giving up the great pay and benefits is one of the things holding me back, but because money can't buy happiness, is the quality of life really better on the outside?

Again, I apologize for asking the same question many others have asked, but everyone's situation is a little different.

Thank you for your honest inputs and advice.

Cheers