View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FangsF15 View Post
At least as some point in the last few years, I've heard some regionals are asking you to sign an employment contract, which would prevent you from quitting for your target major. Just make sure that's not part of the deal to get you a free ATP.
Those are usually about 12-18 months, which is about how long a non-current or helo guy will need to wait anyway. I certainly wouldn't sign one longer than 18 months.

Also, I've heard there is huge variance in QOL at different regionals, so ask around too.
Best QOL are probably (in alphabetical order): Air Wisconsin, Horizon, Skywest, Expressjet.

You also need to consider domicile location and upgrade time. You will probably never upgrade at expressjet, and at horizon it could take many years.

You can take a chance on a bottom-feeder regional with fast upgrade and convenient domiciles, just hope to Jesus you don't get stuck there.

And you won't be the last 20 year non-recent/current mil guy to have to do a quick pit-stop at a regional to get 100 hours of recency to be competitive at a Major. I've got an O-6 buddy in exactly your shoes right now...
Lot's of that going on right now. I see it in my reserve unit, and at my regional. SKW will hire military (no contract) just in the hopes that a few of them stick around (a few do, and often wind up in leadership positions).