View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
I guess this guy should have been more qualified then. There is a reason I didn't buy the nice beautiful SR22 I test flew. I feel there are numerous design build factors about this plane that leads to the observed outcomes at the hands of a wide variety of pilots.

Kathryn's Report: Cirrus SR22, N401SC: Fatal accident occurred January 25, 2017 near Municipal Airport (KSSF), San Antonio, Texas

Highly qualified military pilots dying in piston ASEL is nothing new, and I've commented on that before. Apparently GA is different enough that high-performance mil skills don't transfer completely without some disciplined critical thinking and study/training.

I don't think the airplane has design issues, it flies just fine. I think the market niche attracts a certain type of pilot: busy (ie time pressured), successful, and typically pretty self confidant. The glass cockpit (one of the first ones in GA) probably attracts folks who have an IFR mission. The glass and parachute probably enable a false sense of security in some highly confidant pilots.