View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 AM
C11DCA
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: 320 Captain

Originally Posted by UALinIAH View Post
I completely agree. Our reserve system is outstanding for locals. It sucks ass for commuters. Hence my caveat about not bidding unless the OP was willing to move within SC distance. (And the company standard is they will pay for you to move within 200 miles which you can't do SC now living 200 miles away). I do wish we would go back to the old (sUAL) 4 hr callout vs what we have now which would open up a lot room for people to live in range of places like SFO and EWR.

I know people who commute complain about reserve and how we need to fix it next contract. I have never commuted to reserve in my 22 yrs so I have no idea about it and please don't turn this into a RSV bashing thread. Just pointing out that it's two completely different jobs when comparing living within reasonable driving distance to your domicile vs commuting.
In reality the call out was only shortened by 30 minutes. Old contract was unwritten 4 hours to push. Now it's 2:30 to show. Certainly 30 minutes in certain hubs can help certain folks though.

The excessive short calls built at crew desk discretion is the biggest complaint I hear about the reserve system. Basically there is no long call part of the long call/short call system. It's like the old days when all it was, was short call That needs to get fixed.