View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:28 AM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

Originally Posted by Meat Fighter View Post
Before I put in my dream sheet for aircraft selection I'd like to solicit for some advice from the contributors here.

Situation: We have our third daughter due two weeks before indoc so mama is going to have three girls at home under the age of four.
Any and all advice is welcome.

*Hat tip to Albie; the information you have provided both on the forum and ECIC has been invaluable for this guy separating from the military at 14 years.

Here's my advice ... it's worth what you paid for it.

My instinctive reaction would be to stay home with the wife, family and new baby. I'd explain to FedEx that I have a "temporary family medical issue" at home and could I please start the next month. Please?

Everybody likes babies, maybe they would understand? But ... FedEx is famous for holding grudges. Would they agree to that? I have no idea. That might be a good question for Albie?

When the same thing happened to me many years ago (at a different airline) the Chief Pilot told me, "Mayday, if your wife and baby are in the hospital then their needs are being attended to and I don't see why you can't come to work." Yes, he really said that to which I replied, "Dan, you must have not understood the purpose for my call. This was just a courtesy call to tell you I was sick."

Brand new employee ... on probation ... that's a tough one. I hate to lose a really good job because I made the wrong decision. Are there other alternatives? Maybe her mother or her sister to help for a few weeks?

Good luck, I feel for you ...

Last edited by MaydayMark; 02-08-2017 at 06:11 AM.