View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Nhowar02
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Thank you! very useful information and relatively good news
from what I've read the Federal Air Surgeon (or through a AME?) would grant a SODA if appropriate, or maybe its something different for what my case is. From there i guess it would be up to the airlines if they will take me.

I will definitely get in touch with an consulting company to see what they have to say.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It seems common for professional pilots to get waivers for one eye worse than 20/20, especially if you can see 20/20 with both. But this usually happens when pilots are older and already employed by an airline. An airline cannot fire them as long as they can hold an FAA 1C or 2C medical. Getting hired might be a different story...

Assume that foreign airlines will not employ you, they are very picky on medical standards and testing (although their pilots generally suck compared to US pilots).

Many US airlines would probably hire you, although there may still be a few which would not accept a waiver for that. Most or all regionals would probably hire you.

I would talk to an aviation medicine consulting company BEFORE you talk to the FAA or an AME.