View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 07:26 PM
FlyBoyd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: FDX 767 FO

Originally Posted by Meat Fighter View Post
Just received the CJO. Everyone on the property was world class and I couldn't be more excited at this opportunity.

Before I put in my dream sheet for aircraft selection I'd like to solicit for some advice from the contributors here.

Situation: We have our third daughter due two weeks before indoc so mama is going to have three girls at home under the age of four. I will be commuting from the panhandle of Florida(military separation) and was curious to know if you were in my shoes which aircraft you would select at this point in time? I would be excited to fly any of the aircraft, but would prefer the fleet that allows the best seniority progression in order to allow me to hold a line and consolidate my time at home to the max extent possible.

Any and all advice is welcome.

*Hat tip to Albie; the information you have provided both on the forum and ECIC has been invaluable for this guy separating from the military at 14 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Another option which combines some of Albie's pros...

Move to MEM - the panhandle of Florida can be a tough commute. It's not our toughest, but it can get crowded. You have young kids and schooling is down the road. Come to MEM, bid reserve (I recommend the 76), and do both of the QOL things Albie recs above....be home more and use a little extra money to get some help for when you are gone. Spend a few years deciding where you really want to live and move once the kids get into school and you are more senior. If you are eventually leaving your existing support network down the road, you should consider this option.

I know it sounds crazy, but if you can find the right neighborhood for your family, your local schedule will beat a similar seat, similar seniority commuter's schedule 99% of the time.