View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM
wally24
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Illinois has a good program. The best part is that you get a “certificate of aviation”, more than a minor but less than a major. The problem is it is a lot of work with a traditional degree on the side, but a great back up plan. The backup plan seems to be a real plus in today’s market.

I got my B.S. in Finance, and “pro pilot” degree as well. Some of my other buddies did Economics. If you are smart enough to do engineering, go for it. It is an excellent program, but luckily I was not smart enough to do that. One kid decided to do aerospace engineering and wants to be a test pilot, not sure if he made it though. If you are a smart kid, you have a good shot. Someone said you need ACT scores near 30 for the engineering program.

The overall university is pretty well respected, I was lucky to graduate. But like everyone said, get a degree that is well rounded and a good back up plan. Finance, Engineering, Accounting and Econ leave a lot of options for you outside of aviation.

I would not recommend the Human Factors degree, you can get the same flight skills in the pro pilot program, with the back up plan.

Good Luck

Wally