View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM
LAX2MSP
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I have been following the story of a fellow who ditched his lawyer job to become a airline pilot in his late 50s...and he's loving it. No commute, no stressing over upgrades, no money woes. He is just living the dream he thought he would never live. He is content to live out his professional pilot job as a Regional CA. He responded to a postcard in the mail out of the blue from Skywest. I believe and was in training about a month later after wrapping up his affairs. He had plenty of experience as a CFI-I. I get those same postcards in the mail.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Though I don't have any instructor certificates, I do have close to 1000 hrs, instrument rating, and commercial pilot cert. I would build the rest of the necessary time on my own and pick up a multi engine commercial certificate at one of the short course schools. Not exactly sure how I will build the minimum multi time, but I will have plenty of time to think about it. My understanding is that I would need to have about 1450 hrs to begin the application process. I'm a university graduate in engineering and have former military experience. I'm financially secure. I live near Phoenix and would only likely consider a job that does not involve a commute.

Comments anyone?
SkyWest has a base in PHX and so does Mesa.. if you're not willing to commute, this is the wrong life crisis to have.