View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Gearswinger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Default Becoming a Regional Airline Pilot at 54

Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
This is pure bull$h1t. This fellow is not doing any of that. If you are a regional FO, you have money woes. It's likely that since he was an attorney, he probably will continue to have money woes as a Captain as well.

He's not living a dream and neither will you. I'm sure this post is just flame bait and not real, but if by chance you are for real and having some kind of breakdown, you should know that it is only cool for a few months, then you are back to reality.

Your post is pure bull$hit. Likely the man made his money before going to a regional and likely has investments and savings so he doesn't have to depend on his regional salary. Just because you suck at money management doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Being a regional FO doesn't mean you'll have money woes, even if you don't have previous investments to help you along. If you can't get your $hit together on the 60k many start at, the problem is you sucking at budgeting, not that you don't have enough cash coming in.

I flew with a CA who was previously an investment banker, and left that life in his 50s because he always wanted to be an airline pilot. He was also financially secure because of good choices made prior to the career change and loved his life as an airline pilot.

The job is fun, and is greatly helped if you do not have the financial pressures that many have. I've been flying at my regional for nearly 7 years, and love my job. It beats the other things I have done in life by a mile, and it only got better after upgrading to Captain. It's still a cool job, wouldn't want to do anything else.