Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 AM
ewrbasedpilot
HOSED BY PBS AGAIN

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by ILS37R View Post
A friend of mine was recently considering trying to get a job with ATC, what with their current non-qualifications, no-degree hiring process. Though I'm sure she would have made a wonderful controller after the decade or so break-in period, I advised her to look elsewhere. The controllers I know are obscenely overworked and their morale is at an all-time low. It amazes me the professionalism they have to do such a great job in the conditions they're being forced to face.

I suppose that's the way it is with most government bureaucracies: the career people are smart and dedicated, but it only takes one bad appointee at the top to mess up the whole system.
The airline industry is hemorraging due to ATC constraints, and yet the government FAILS to realize THEY are the cause of this problem. Blakey is such a buffoon that she's pushing the age 65 for pilots, yet fails to do the same for controllers.............their age to retire (mandatory) is 55!!!! Talk about out of touch. Apparently controllers are ready for the pasture at 55, but pilots can go another 10 years past them!!! Talk about discrimination.