View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Davetastic
Ice-bagger

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by AtlasPilot1 View Post
My apologies....one more to your original question....

Yes. If they were a normal airline, they would offer adequate compensation and be able to hire those that have acquired incremental experience leading up to this level to limit the level of risk that already exists at this operation(...another form of TEM, btw)

If the opposite were true, then all the airlines would drop all minimum requirements and hire the cheapest available graduate directly from school.
The reason that legacy airlines don't currently hire ab-initio is because they can still poach what resources are left. That trend is changing however.

But more to the point, raising pay rates at Atlas may attract and retain highly qualified pilots but not necessarily those with the requisite qualifications. There are so few pilots out there with the flying experience that we do. I can only think that the military trains pilots to do this kind of flying and that pool is all but exhausted. My point is this: Even if Atlas raised pay to attract let's say a slew of legacy pilots how many of them would have intl. experience to the places that we go? Probably very few considering the routes that legacy airlines fly. So we are back at square one....what is the solution? The solution lies with us as professional pilots to remain vigilant. It is our reality and our profession. We chose it. Complaining that pay rates are low and therefore not attracting intl. pilots is missing the point.

...and btw, TEM is a cockpit/flight operations concept...not a hiring philosophy.