View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 AM
awakenedpilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

New to the forums. I am a bit different in that I was a mid-level captain who got out early in 2014 during the mass VSP/Palace Chase saga. Convinced myself to try corporate life and here I am making decent money while being overly UNDERutilized. The switch went off that I'm not done flying and due to 4 years out of manned cockpit and no ATP, regionals are the obvious idea here... a few questions..

My husband (also an airline guy) says although I have no recency or ATP, that I should throw in an app for the majors while pursuing the regionals because "you never know". Is there any possible harm in that such as them thinking I'm insane?

My choices are between Compass and SKW because we are near Fresno. I know SKW has a domicile in FAT, but I've heard it's a pretty senior base so therefore I am hearing ORD or DTW is the junior base, which commuting there from FAT would be a nightmare. Compass, on the other hand, has their junior base in LA.. also heard they're currently not hiring but that is "expected" to be short lived. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I have gotten my hours together and need to do all the other stuff like medical, FCC, etc. The pay cut is scary for me, even though we are dual income. The leap of faith hoping I get called in a decent time from a major is intimidating but it seems as though it has worked out for others. Clean flying record and my hours are just over 2000, with 1700+ being "heavy" (did my last assignment in predators to be w/ my spouse, which could have been better served getting actual hours).

I plan to look into the Emerald Coast program and this site a lot more for interview prep because I do not want to screw anything up. In the meantime I'm just trying to save up as much money as I can with my high paying, yet unfulfilling job since I don't have a retirement coming in.

Am I crazy??