View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM
shroomwell
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Boeing, left side

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
I'll admit that it is a pet peeve when I see people tell others how to spend their money.

Some people are into watches. Who cares? It's their money. This was a thread meant to ask people what watches they are wearing, not why they're stupid for spending money on them.

Exactly. Inevitably every time one of these "watches" threads comes around, out come the people from the woodwork telling others how stupid they are for spending their own money on what they want. Maybe this thread should be combined with one of those "military v. civilian" threads...

I've had my GMT Master ("error" dial) since about 2006, and I've worn it daily since then. I wanted that watch for more than 20 years before I bought it and I saved money every month for more than 2 years to do so; it was a reward to myself the first time I made Captain at an airline. The GMT has a history with airlines and aviation (ref: the previous poster's mention of Pan Am, who had a hand in the watch development for its pilots) and when I was a kid I always knew that when I too was a pilot I would own one. Expensive watches for men are often bought for sentimental reasons, just like jewelry is for women. Who cares if it doesn't keep as good of time as a cheap quartz watch? I happen to be proud of what I have accomplished in the aviation business and looking at that watch reminds me of it. I couldn't give the tiniest f_cuk what anyone else thinks of me wearing it.

Now, anyone got $500 they can loan me for the service it needs?